9.28.2009

China hutch reveal

Edited to participate in ASPtL's DIY day -

Since I had moved the pie safe to the craft room, I needed replacement storage in our kitchen. A new store opened near my home, which is where I found this girl in need of some lovin'.

The inside shelves were waterstained and dried out, the outside had some kind of shellac that had dripped and then dried. I had a vision of her rich and deep on the outside and Tiffany blue on the inside.

After several attempts at stripping (3M Safe Stripper didn't cut it, so I had to pull out the big stinky guns)and the first coat of Miniwax Dark Walnut, I had to put her makeover on hold. Seems humid mid-July weather was not conducive to drying. At. All. Over Labor Day weekend, I applied the second coat of stain and primed the inside with BIN. For the Tiffany blue, I mixed 1) Slate Blue, 1) Fairfax Green, and 1/3rd)Feather Blue Paint Pod from Ace Hardware. It was the perfect amount without a ton of paint left over.
Total cost of the project:
Hutch: $101.00 (95.00 and tax)
Stain and paint: $20.00
Stripper: $7.00
Primer and tools: already had.

The inside of the hutch is an accumulation of things from all different times and locations of my life. It's a mish-mash - but hey, isn't that a reflection of real life? Quirky, fun, and sometimes not making a whole lotta sense!