5.17.2010

My new best friend

Edited to join up with Kimba's DIY day
Hi Miniwax Stain - I think I love you.
Here's one of our bedside tables before meeting my new best friend. I purchased these end tables many moons ago from Spiegel. They are solid Mexican wood and craftsmanship, complete with rustic iron hardware. But I was feeling a bit 'meh' about look.


Here is one of the tables after just one coat of Miniwax 'Red Mahogany' and some $0.97 knobs from Lowes. I know the color doesn't look much different on the blog, but trust me. It's gone from a flat yellowish brown to a deep red-brown lustre. The stain still lets the rustic imperfections of the wood show through, but gives it a more finished feel. I think I'm going to like the knobs way more than the dangling metal pieces, too.
(By the way, that's my new craft room curtain divider behind the finished nightstand.)

And I even had time to whip up a quick scarf this week. This is a very simple 4-stitch, 2-row lace pattern that looks like you have worked your fingers to the bone.
Project specs: 1 skein of NaturallyCaron.com's Country in 'Berry Frappe' on #7 needles.