
And look at all the trouble she can get into! I've wanted a sewing machine for a while, and this past birthday was the time to fulfill my wish (thanks Mom!) I got a Singer Simple - nothing too fancy, but it does a few creative stitches and ...wait for it...buttonholes! The CatMan didn't quite achieve the level of awe I felt necessary when I finished my first one.
Here are a couple of 'getting to know Martha' projects. Yes, I named my machine Martha - appropriate on several levels.
Project 1: A kitty mattress. Simply a flannel baby blankie ($1.50 at Goodwill) sandwiched around a layer of cotton batting. I tried out a couple of zig-zag stitches (it doesn't look nearly as pucker-y in person). The kittehs love it.

Project 2: A 'dress' for Martha. The material is the same stuff I used on my thrifted bulletin board. I love the blowsy floral print, but must use it in moderation or the CatMan's head will explode. Cost? About $2.00 of material.
I have a few other sewing projects underway - reveals will be forthcoming. And yes, there will be buttonholes! Speaking of birthday gifts: the CatMan surprised me with an orange iPod Nano. Which totally makes up for his lack of buttonhole adoration. Woot! It's all 80's all the time now! I love it so much and knew it needed it's own special home. Presenting the curiously strong mod-podge tin. 
I mod-podged some scrapbook paper to the top and lined it with some remnant felt. Perfectly protected and easily found in my purse. Cost? Nuttin' honey.

I mod-podged some scrapbook paper to the top and lined it with some remnant felt. Perfectly protected and easily found in my purse. Cost? Nuttin' honey.